Babysitting Class

In our town, we had a babysitting class.   It lasted for two hours.  It was really nice of Officer Smith and Officer Lindsay to donate their time to inform us about babysitting do’s and don’t’s.   I learned a lot.  It was really fun.  

What to do when you first walk in

When you are entering a house that you are going to babysit you should look around the room and eliminate all the dangerous things.  That way there is a less of a chance that the baby/child wouldn’t get hurt.  A good tool to have is always keep the house the way it looked before when you got there.  It shows that you are trustworthy and responsible.   Beforehand, ask the parents where the first aid kit is just in case of a scratch or scrape.  You should also ask beforehand if the child has any allergies.  It is important to know this so that you can be aware.   For example, if the child was allergic to bees and she/he got stung by one you would have to call an ambulance immediately and then call their parents after.  In scary situations, you should always stay calm.  You should also ask if they have any rubber bands to put across the cabinets so that the baby/child wouldn’t get into anything.  You should also ask if they could call you when they are home so that you can start getting ready to go.   

What not to do while you are alone with the baby

You shouldn’t text or play on your electronics when you are babysitting, you should always keep a close watch on the child.     Unless you have permission  don’t invite your friends over because you might get distracted and lose focus.  Also bring a flashlight and put it beside you in case the power goes out.  

What to do

If you are playing outside and the child/baby get a bee sting and you can see the stinger, then just get any card or coin and just drag it over the stinger.  I wouldn’t recommend tweezers or your fingers because the poison that was in the stinger might go into her/his arm.  If the child gets a tick then use tweezers or your hand.  If you can pick off the tick with your hand and it’s stuck then it’s been there a while.  

Have you ever babysat someone before?  

If you haven’t, would you like to babysit someday?

For those of you who do babysit, do you have any advice or stories you would like to share?

8 thoughts on “Babysitting Class

1. Dear Natalie,

Last year, I wen to that exact class, yes the First Year it happened and there were a lot of people that went. Since my cousin had a sleepover at my house the night before, and she’s our age too, we took her along and we all had to take notes in a note book. Only one problem, I lost my notes, but luckily I studied them a lot and soon remembered all the notes I took, and I have actually babysat my neighbors last week for a hour while their older brother and mom went to the library for a workshop and their dad was at work, and I earned $14. Yeah! Also when my cousin, Kendall and my niece Lilah get much older like 3-5 years old, I will start babysitting them mostly everyday. Considering that they are family. Taite also babysits, my neighbor Gibby, for approx. 30 minutes twice a week. Do you have a charge for babysitting yet? I probably would do $4 per child, per hour. I think that’s reasonable, what do you plan on charging?

Tristan~ 🙂

• Dear Tristan,
      You are really lucky. I wish I could babysit like you. My mom said that we will see which usually means no. I really like little kids and they seem to like me too. That is so cool that you get to babysit. Good luck!

Sincerely,
      Natalie S

2. Dear Natalie,

I did that babysitting course last year. It was not that fun but it did teach me a lot about babies and little kids. Me and Aiden were the only boys there last year now there are more. And I have babysat before, well if my little brother counts, but he is 10.

From,
    Ben W.

• Dear Ben W.
      I wish I could babysit. I might babysit in the summer. My sister babysat me once and she thinks she babysits me. I think Aiden counts. Did you like babysitting?

Sincerely,
      Natalie S.

• Dear Natalie,

I do like babysitting some kids but my brother is horrible. He never listens:(. That would be cool to babysit someone else during the summer and make some money.

From,
        Ben W.

• I think that all brothers and sisters can be annoying at one point or another. 😆 I think that it would be cool too that I could babysit someone. I can’t wait!

Sincerely,
          Natalie S.

3. Hi Natalie,

My name is Charlotte and you left a comment on my blog Charlotte’s Amazing Blog!

I love Baby sitting I have Never Baby Sat before and that might be because I am only in grade 4.

I have a favourite book witch is called THE BABY SITTING CLUB and that is where 5 girls made up a club and people call them
    ( known as a client) and ask for them to baby sit there child.
    They are really fun to read!

Bye for now,

Charlotte

• Dear Charlotte,
      Welcome to my blog! I have read the Babysitting club. That is a really good series. What is your favorite book in the series? I am going to babysit in the summer for my neighbors. I can’t wait. DO you want to be my blogging buddy?

Sincerely,
      Natalie S.