Are you up for the Challenge?

At school they had a contest to see who can write the most creative writing.  The catch was it had to be about what they do with the MCAS test booklets.  There were three winners at school.  The winners were Ariel (Ari’s Safari), Emily (The Truth about Life), and me.  It was really fun.  I loved seeing people’s stories.  Now I want you to write a story.  The only rule is that it can’t be too bloody.  Other than that, let your imagination run wild.  With most contests there is always a prize.  The prize is that you can write your own post.  Here is my story. They are sharp.  They are dangerous.  They are roaming everywhere.  They are not as innocent as they seem.  When you take MCAS, the booklets go back to the DESE. Or so you think.  Contest ends June 8,2013

They just call themselves the DESE which they are.  They aren’t lying about it.  You just think that it stands for Department of Elementary and Secondary Education because of people who misinterpret it.  It really stands for Diabolical Educator Super Eaters.  They feed on education.  I don’t know how people misinterpret that, but you would be surprised what people say these days.  They really are gigantic number two pencils that feed on knowledge.  That’s why you have to use number two pencils only.  That is their army.  When you are writing with the pencil, after you are done with the test, the pencil sucks up all the knowledge.  That is why pencils are long so that they can hold lots of knowledge.  Then they run back all the way to “Pencilvania” (where the DESE is located).  Then they spit all the knowledge into a can.  The gigantic pencils are getting stronger by the minute.  We want you.  We need you.  So join us.  Join us to protect innocent children.  Are you in?  I am a secret agent.  My name is Natalie.  I have the best crew.  We are brave enough to handle the worst pencils in all of Pencilvania.  Agent beaver, my trusty sidekick, my mom, and me.  She is convincing and awesome.

We decided to take a plane to “Pencilvania.”  We finally found their business.  We crashed through the window.  Glass everywhere.  I didn’t even notice though.  The pencils seemed shocked.  We all knew what was going to happen.  We got our weapons out.  We got our pencil sharpener cannons and they had pointed pencils lined up.  They were smart.  Everyone knows that we humans hate sharp pencils that can hurt us.  Luckily, my mom was prepared and she had band-aids.  I charged at them and so did agent Beaver.  agent Beaver started to chew away the pencils until there were no pencils left to chew.

Then we decided to go back home.  Then we had to stop at McDonald’s, of course.  This McDonald’s wasn’t like any old McDonald’s, oh no.  It had the spiciest, the best buffalo wings.  They had anything.  Even liver and onions if you really wanted it.  I got a nine piece buffalo wing, fries, large milkshake, two donuts wrapped in bacon, and a three piece mozzarella sticks.  The others weren’t hungry.  We just fought a horde of angry pencils that tried to kill us.  It can work up an appetite.  But whatever.  Then we went back home and I started to do my worldly wise.  I am an agent in disguise.  It sometimes gets annoying because I had to go through kindergarten through twelfth grade.  Kids have a tough job.

7 thoughts on “Are you up for the Challenge?

1. Dear Natalie,
    That’s great! I’ve actually been thinking about the DESE. I’ve always wondered if they really just burned and shredded our test booklets! Thanks for clearing that up for me though. I think I’ll try to make a short story like that. Something people never really think about. I don’t know, I’ll think about it.
    Bye,
    Molly

2. Dear Natalie,
    Here is my story;
    It was a normal day. I would have never expected to become the next famous writer. I was simply typing up a story on my computer about a girl who goes on an adventure through time and space. I emailed to my best friend, Stacy. Little did I know, I had emailed to everyone who had an email. How I did it? I have no idea. It had my full name on it, too. Soon it was all over the news. “Inspiring new writer! Emily Rachel Raymond writes “Traveling Through A New Dimension” Publishers everywhere emailing her for a chance to sell her book!” the news reporter said. I was shocked. Amazed. Out of breath.Then my phone started ringing off the hook. “Emily, I’m reading your book!” one said. “You’re famous!Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!” was another. And this one made me laugh “Can we split the profits you make? I probably put that idea in your head!” it was Stacy who had said that one. I decided to give Scholastic a chance to sell my book. Before I knew it, I got a call from…The president of the United States. I was jumping up and down, screaming, then I answered the phone. “Emily, I am so proud! I’m sending you a million dollar check! Here, let me give you a Noble Peace Prize, too.” Then, I woke up! It was a dream. I was so bummed. I cried a little, to be honest. Then, I realized we can’t always win, and we can’t all be famous, so, hey, it’s okay. I could always become a famous writer tomorrow.

Thanks for the opportunity to enter your contest!

Sincerely,
    Makinsay

• That was a really good story. I think you can definitely win the contest. I really enjoyed your story. Thank you for sharing. I think you will win. You should start coming up with ideas for a post on my blog.

• Dear Makinsay,
          That would be a really interesting post to do. Even if you don’t win, I will have plenty of other opportunities to have other people write posts. I still have to add them up. You will know by next week or today. I am really busy but I will try to squeeze it in.

Sincerely,
          Natalie S.